Saturday, January 8, 2011

Empowering women

Ladies, let’s make a difference!

I FELT truly empowered reading about Zainah Anwar in A sister steps out (StarMag, March 30) and I really look forward to reading her column (Sharing the nation, in the Sunday Star) in the future.
Although I am not an activist, I do know about gender equality issues but I have always thought that what I have to say will not make a difference.

My sister once told me, “Don’t just think your thoughts, write them down... just because 10 people don’t share the same ideas, that doesn’t mean 100 others don’t either”.

From recent experiences, I have come to understand the plight of women who live with invisible strings attached, holding them back from voicing opinions and making themselves heard. I am truly irked at some people who feel women should not question but just listen.

I feel the people who can make a difference in changing how society treats women are mothers.
If mothers can teach their children – be they boys or girls – from young to respect others equally, that would shape their attitudes when they grow up.
Stop blindly following “culture”. Don’t tell your daughters they can’t be successful just because they are female. Instead, encourage them to strive to reach their full potential.

gTo the women out there, this is my advice: do not simply conform to traditional rules of society and culture. You have the ability to think logically, to question, and know right from wrong. So, exercise that ability!
Of course, we may have some limitations – be they physical or emotional – but that should not stop us from being successful, from fighting for what we believe in, and from not letting people take advantage of us.
It’s hard, yes. But, it’s not impossible.
Dr Sangeetha Siniah, Subang Jaya, Selangor

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/4/6/lifefocus/20845642&sec=lifefocus&cid=0&ei=o2_4R-esEY30yAS5m4DVDw&usg=AFrqEzeLp4F_7VjNk0AB2XIeWRQd_JYZH 


It's been 2 years since i last wrote this , i still feel the same way about it.Felt like sharing :)

1 comment:

  1. Just realised this is part of the millenium development goal 3 (promote gender equality and empower women)

    http://www.undp.org.tt/mdg/

    ReplyDelete